I guess that name sounds a little confusing… How can a latke be southwestern? Well, I guess I’m not a traditionalist. I wanted to make something with the excessive amount of carrots and potatoes I had, and was craving a more southwestern flavor, and this is what was born…
Southwestern Potato Carrot Latkes
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 3 medium potatoes, shredded
- 1/4 of a large onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz. green chilies
- 1/4 tsp. each of: cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, coriander, pepper and sea salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 c. almond meal or almond flour
- extra virgin olive oil for frying
Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Form into patties. Heat oil in a large fry pan, place patties in and saute 2-3 minutes on each side. Let sit on paper towel lined plate to drain.
Serve and enjoy. Although we ate ours plain, this would be great with some salsa and sour cream, or a chipotle sour cream sauce.